I’ve had this pattern and the fabric in my stash since February and I finally managed to push myself into making it – with the promised reward of Pokemon cards at the end, whoops! I wanted to make a short version that was lined – way to start hard – and decided I’d like a nice grey denim skirt. I got this Cotton Chambray Denim from Minerva Crafts and decided to line it in some of the leftover satin I had from my Midnight Mauve dress, since I live the combination of grey and purple together. The buttons I stole from an old jacket I have. They kept falling off so I stopped sewing them back on, which meant they were hanging around in my button tin, waiting for the perfect project to come by. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t hugely convinced buttons would be enough to hold it together, but I was pleasantly surprised and they certainly look nice.
I’ll be honest, I’m not 100% happy with it, mainly the lining. However, that is entirely my own fault as I sort of skipped over some of the steps when attaching the lining to the facings. I guess I wasn’t in the mood to be precise and I can be a lazy sewer quite often! Still, I keep telling myself that’s on the inside and no one will notice, so perhaps in time I’ll forget it even happened. Also, satin was perhaps not the best choice of lining. The skirt has ended up slightly big on my waist – though I have yet to wash it, so we’ll see if that improves – but the slipperiness of the lining also means it has a habit of riding up. After a day of wearing, it’s not as bad as I feared, but I do still have to tug it down periodically during the day just in case!
Construction was pretty easy aside from the lining, whipped it up in a couple of hours. Despite the laziness with my lining, I did bother to press my seams open! The hem isn’t perfect either, but let’s stop poking holes. This is definitely a wearable skirt, although I’m not sure if I’d make it again to be honest. Maybe I’ll give the longer one a go, to stop my paranoia about it riding up.