Bad pun? Perhaps.
Anyway. Between Expo and Christmas, I’d been on a bit of a sewing dry spell. In part because I was having a break, but also because I was seemingly rather busy with other things (including playing FFXIV, which isn’t really an excuse). So I made a few little things that I’ve been meaning to make for ages. They’re not cosplay, that started after Christmas.
I started off by making what’s supposed to be a ‘thread catcher’, but I was making it with the intention of having somewhere to store my wonder clips, rather than have them in a plastic bag! It looks rather cute I have to say.
It was made using some random purple check cotton I picked up (in part to make the thing I’m going to talk about next) and the lining is leftover fabric from my Midnight Mauve cosplay. It’s quite nice having the satin lining actually, and I’m a big fan of purple at the moment.
I had a bit of a faff cutting the pieces, if only because my table was bit cramped, and I accidentally cut the rectangles a bit smaller than they were supposed to be. But actually, it’s turned out the perfect size for the clips, so it’s no problem. This probably took me 20 minutes to make, 10 to cut, 10 to sew which makes it a great evening project. I plan to make several more of different sizes, just need to find the right fabric first!
The second thing I made has been on my list for at least 6 months, if not more. In fact, I even started making it many months ago, I believe I even blogged about it, and it’s a work-in-progress bag.
First things first, I can’t say I’m particularly proud of this piece of sewing. It’ll be very useful, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a bit of a mess. Mostly because I didn’t square off my pvc very well so the binding is somewhat wobbly, but there’s always a next time. I don’t remember how long the zip insertion took, I can’t imagine long. The binding can’t have taken me more than half an hour though!
I tend to keep my WIP cosplays in a bag, usually whatever bag I got when I bought the fabric, but it’s not an ideal solution. My plan is to make enough large WIP bags to store the current cosplays I’m making (at most 5 at once, usually no more than 3). I’d also like to make some smaller ones to carry bits around in.
It’s really nice to do some simple sewing for a change, especially when I get results almost immediately. And I know ultimately, these things should help my cosplay making stay just that little bit more organised =)